To serve you better, we are in the process of assembling a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you have any questions you feel would should be address please submit them to info@dawsonmn.com

Frequently Asked Questions


How long does it take to get a library card?

Our librarian will be able to supply you with a new library card the same day you apply.

Are electronic books available?

Yes.  Instructions sheet are available to those interested at the front desk.

Does the Library have story time?

We do offer story time for preschool children every Tuesday from 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM.  Come join us for a great time!

City Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8 am - 4:30 pm daily.


Where do I find a zoning application?

A zoning application can be picked up at the City Hall during regular business hours.

Do I need a permit to drive my golf cart or ATV on city streets?

Yes, you must apply for a permit.  This can be done at City Hall.

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the City of Dawson, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application if available.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the City of Dawson hire part time/seasonal employees?

Yes, we do hire part time/seasonal employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.

Zoning Permits

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided. Then print and fill out the building permit application form and return to city hall.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

What do I need to know when putting up a fence?

You must be within your property lines.  If you do not know where they are located, you are responsible for getting your property surveyed to find out.  All fences require a zoning permit.  Our zoning official will then come and view your property to see if any further requirements are needed. 

Swimming Pool

If I have an issue pertaining to the Aquatic Center where to I file my grievance?

All grievances should be filed at the City Office, 675 Chestnut Street.  The City will take the proper course of action on a case by case basis.

Sanitation & Recycling

When are the garbage collection days for my street?

Please refer to the monthly schedule. Remember, observed holidays will alter the normal routine.


Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Stop in to pick up your blue tablets at the City Hall to test toilet leaks.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. A good place to start looking for low pressure is your water softener.  Call us for more help.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by the City of Dawson please visit the elections page for locations and upcoming election information.


Where is Dawson-Boyd Memorial Auditorium?

This is connected to the southeast end of the Dawson-Boyd High School.